How do You Switch off?

Forums Wellbeing How do You Switch off?

Keymaster
    GB
    How do you switch off from something you need to? Work, Uni, People or even Sport itself?
Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Replies
      theathleteplace
      Keymaster
      GB
      I love to read. For me, reading is the best escape from anything. You pick up a book, and you are transported into another life, another body, another universe.

Can anyone recommend any good books for me?! My all-time favourite is “I am Pilgrim” by Terry Hayes, with “Mountain Song” by Lucy Fuggle a close 2nd!

athlete18
        cooking is the way forward, atleast you know what is going into your food aha
        none
        If you’re into crime / thrillers, I recommend any of the Val McDermid books!
      theathleteplace
      Keymaster
      GB
      I play video games, I can sit there for hours and hours at a time. Playing, laughing or simply being with my friends is a great escape from something that is happening in life.
      theathleteplace
      Keymaster
      GB
      when I am stressed out, I go for a run (sometimes even just a walk). Even if it is just 20 minutes, going for a run is so good for my mind and body. I never go for a run and feel worse after.
        none
        I swear by this! Everyday I try and go for a 30 minute walk during my lunch break. I listen to a podcast or just walk around listening to nothing. It helps me relax, recharge and often things I’m worried about, I either come to some sort of ‘solution’ on the walk because I’ve taken myself away from being inside 4 walls or they become less significant.
      theathleteplace
      Keymaster
      GB
      spending time with loved ones is something that really helps me to switch off build better bonds with people. I find I am much happier once I have spent time with those that i love.
      theathleteplace
      Keymaster
      GB
      I LOVE cooking, it makes me feel so good afterwards, as 1. I get to eat it and 2. making something yourself is so satisfying. Especially when it takes time to do.

I much prefer this to buying ready-made food or takeaways on the whole, but who doesn’t love a takeaway every now and then? Especially with how busy life is in this day and age.

athlete18

joe: I play video games, I can sit there for hours and hours at a time. Playing, laughing or simply being with my friends is a great escape from something that is happening in life.

I played a stupid amount of video games, but i wouldn’t change it for the world. the good memories with friends are times you would never want to miss

Dave Coleman
      none
      music and books work best for me
      danielrees
      Participant
      GB
      For me switching off definitely involves switching off my phone because it’s so easy to check social media and news apps if your phone is on and right in front of you.

It has been noted by @theathleteplace that reading is really good; and I have to agree although it’s something I only really do in the evening before bed as opposed to during the day when I’m trying to be up and about doing stuff. It is an ideal way to relax and get some peace and quiet though.

Skype with a friend is also a really good switch-off method for me, far better than using a messenger app (even though it is quick and convenient, it’s not the same as seeing them whilst you catch up).

Board games also great way to switch off so long as you keep technology out of it, the atmosphere is so different when you have a few people all focussing on the same thing in silence!

On a slightly unrelated note (in response to @1997), Val McDermid was on University Challenge a few years back and was an absolute machine

runner18
      Participant
      GB
      If I have a busy day or week I like to go for a walk to somewhere nice and read a book. This is obviously not ideal to do in the winter but when the weather is good it is amazing! There is something about being in nature to me that is so refreshing and takes my mind off anything stressful!
      Listening to podcasts, especially while cooking, are my go to way to switch off!
Viewing 9 reply threads

Tagged: 

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Social Share Buttons and Icons powered by Ultimatelysocial
error

Enjoy the content? Please spread the word :)